Monday, August 18, 2008

ARTIST's CORNER - Ooi Kooi Hin



What is the central concept that governs your work?
Human emotions. Humour.

What inspires you? What do you do to get inspired? What inspires your work?
I believe in getting ones feeling released and channeled it properly helps in becoming a better person.

What engages you as an artist? What issues engages you? Does it drive your direction of work in any particular area?
Human is the subject that never bored me. As one humankind myself, I create work in inspiration to learn and understand more of myself, as well as getting to know others.

What do you think is the role of a contemporary artist in society?
Be more involved.

Do you think the role of a contemporary artist has changed from the 20th century to the 21st century within the social structure of society?
Has this effect/influence your practice of art in relation to this shift/change?
I think it has changed gradually. We are being exposed more easily to what is happening around through media, in particular the internet. Yes it has influenced me.

Do you think art education plays a big role in shaping our future generation/nation building? If yes, how?
Yes, arts open up possibilities, intrigue more perspectives. I loath to see mono structure set by social norm.

What is the most recent book you’ve read?
Design Of Design (By Kenya Hara)

What would you be doing if you were not an artist?
… Labourer? Or may be a cook.

No comments: