Monday, August 18, 2008

ARTIST's CORNER - Low Yi Chin



What is the central concept that governs your work?
I observe different life forms in our rapidly developing environment, and study into the biological impact and consequences towards the living environment nowadays (i.e. the Greenhouse Effect).

What inspires you? What do you do to get inspired? What inspires your work?
Six year ago, my eldest son coming to join me in this world. His presence has led me to experience the joyous and wonders of life! In accompanying him to explore the world, I started to pay attention to the surroundings. I hence observed different life forms of many living things include tiny earthworm to primates such as apes, monkeys and, mankind.

What engages you as an artist? What issues engages you? Does it drive your direction of work in any particular area?
During my secondary school days, I was studying science stream and being very much interested in biology. After I step into art field, I found artist and scientist are mainly the same: to observe and to question. I like to pay attention and observe the surrounding environment (nature world). But as an artist, I only bring up the question without providing the solution.
I found artwork is a better means in awaken people to concern about environmental issues than scientific reports.

In your opinion, do you consider yourself a contemporary artist?
Yes. My artwork concept is concern about today’s environmental issues.

What do you think is the role of a contemporary artist in society?
He or she has to concern about the community as well as the environment and social problems. Act as an observer and questioner.

Do you think art education plays a big role in shaping our future generation/nation building? If yes, how?
I agree because Art is about training people on how to observe and use different angles to interpret things and issues.

What is the most recent book you’ve read?
Book title: “die Meere”: A past, present, and future of our sea environment.
Author: Frank SCHÄTZING, Wild Man publisher

What would you be doing if you were not an artist?
Maybe to become a farmer, or an organic farmer.

No comments: